My story...

So this is my first time as a "blogger" and the set up alone was quite the experience but I think I'll get the hang of it. If you don't know me, I guess I should introduce myself...

My name is Rebekah O'Connor, I usually just go by Bekah, and I am a 25 year old 1st grade teacher assistant in lovely Wilmington, North Carolina. I was born in California, moved to West Virginia when I was 7, moved to Pinehurst, North Carolina when I was 11 and finally made it to Wilmington in 2004. I graduated high school in 2002 at Pinecrest High and had NO clue what I wanted to do so I took a semester off before heading into college and continued working at an art studio in Pinehurst, which I had worked at throughout high school. There I learned how to faux finish walls, paint furniture, murals, floorcloths, and more...anything custom a person would want, we did it!

After working there, I left home and went to Penland School of Crafts in the mountains of NC to learn how to sculpt with clay. The school isn't a college, just a pure look into the world of handmade crafts. They had courses on blowing glass, creating jewelry, making paper, welding iron, weaving textiles, and I chose sculpting clay as my "major". Well it was an adventure and although the environment was completely inspiring, the people formed quite a different crowd that I wasn't at home with...I leave it at that.

After leaving Penland, a few weeks early and eager to get home, I brainstormed with my family and we thought interior design would be a perfect fit for my future career. That way I could use my creative eye everyday and make spaces for people to enjoy living in. That's when I moved to Wilmington and went to Cape Fear Community to get my associate's degree in interior design. I have to be honest, half way through the degree I had some big doubts as to whether I'd enjoy the field but I felt I just had to finish SOMETHING and get a degree, so that's what I did.

After graduating, I got an internship with a small, local architecture and design firm. Leaving there every day left me without a sense of accomplishment or fulfillment. Unhappy but not sure where to turn to next, I went on a mission's trip to Kenya with my church, Port City Community, that summer. Our team was assigned to help teach in the orphanage we had helped build there and I fell in love...with kids and with teaching. So when I got back I decided I might want to be a teacher! Well, not wanting to dive into school again, I walked down to the elementary school a block away from my current home at the time and decided to apply for a teacher assistant position. That way I could figure out if I would want to teach, from experience, not books.

So 4 years later here I am...LOVE my job but DON'T want to teach and NEED to use my passion for art. So I got to thinking, thanks to mom, and I thought to myself...if I could dream up my future, what would I be doing? And I always come back to the same thing. I want to own my own business. I want it to be able to make anything completely custom, whether it's paintings, frames, lampshades, redoing grandma's outdated furniture, making a room special with painting techniques and faux finishes. I want it all to be unique or....unico.

The goal I have set for myself this year is to have a booth at Riverfest (an annual street fair in Wilmington during the first weekend in October). Get my name out there and show the community what I really love to do, and what I feel I am best at. So over the next 8 months I will be making all sorts of artsy things right here at home! And I want your opinions...what you would change, what you love, what you want and haven't been able to find. This is the first step to making my very possible dream, into a reality. So join with me as I walk (or stumble) down this sure-to-be adventurous road! I'm SO looking forward to your comments.

2 comments:

Flyboy said...

I am so happy to see that you are starting your business venture. We have enjoyed your artwork for so many years and now the public will be able to enjoy it as well. We look forward to seeing your creations and watching your business grow.

Maureen said...

Bekah! You are so talented and I am so proud and excited for you! I can't wait for others to see this amaazing gift you have!

Post a Comment